Dr. Umrani is the Head of Case Research Centre at KSBL.
He has a vast teaching and industry experience along with various teaching cases and published articles in renowned journals to his credit. Dr. Umrani is currently serving as an Independent Director, Board of Directors of Sindh Rural Support Program (SRSO). He was also heading Case Research Center at Sukkur IBA University, where he was previously working as Associate Professor. He did his PhD from University Utara Malaysia in OB & HR. Dr. Umrani has successfully supervised PhD and Masters students, won Research Grants at National and International Level and has successfully conducted consultancy for various organizations.
Dr. Umrani has published teaching cases and articles in top-notch journals such Applied Psychology, International Journal of Conflict Management, Personnel Review, Journal of Knowledge Management, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Technology in Society, Leadership and organization development journal, European Journal of Innovation Management, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, Journal of Environmentl Management, Emerald Emerging Case Studies, Asian Case Research Journal.
Dr. Umrani has presented his work in world reputed meetings/conferences such as Academy of Management, British Academy of Management, European Academy of Management etc.
As a trainer Dr. Umrani has conducted professional trainings for corporate and academicians in Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, and all around Pakistan. Where he has had the opportunity to train, interact and learn from people of 150 different countries. His training portfolio falls in three major areas that include Leadership & Management Development, Case Writing and Case Teaching, and Quantitative Research Methods.
Ph.D. Universiti Utara Malaysia – (UUM is AACSB accredited)
OB & HR
MBA, University of Sindh Jamshoro, Pakistan
Academic Conferences, Trainings, and Workshops attended
- Academy of Management Teaching and Learning Conference, Boston, 2019
- Case Teaching & Case Writing, IVEY Business School Canada, 2017, conducted in Sukkur IBA Pakistan (2017).
- Workshop on Partial Least Square Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM), 2016, conducted by Prof. Joseph F. Hair, Kennesaw State University
- 7-Habits of Highly Effective People by FranklinCovey, 2016.
- Workshop on Using Smart-PLS, 2014, University Utara Malaysia
- Workshop on Case Writing and Case Teaching, 2012, Asia-Pacific Institute of Management, New Delhi, India.
- Competency Based Interviews, conducted by Narejo HR Consultancy, 2017
- Programme on Writing Teaching Cases, (2012), Lahore University of Management Sciences, (LUMS) Lahore
- Case Method of Teaching Workshop, (2010), LUMS, Lahore
- Programme on Writing Case Studies, (2010) conducted by LUMS at Sukkur IBA.
- Human Resource Tools & Techniques, (2011) – LUMS, Lahore
- Business Communication Skills at IBA Karachi, 2011
- Marketing Strategies (Using Case Method of Teaching) at IBA Karachi 2013
- Marketing Strategy, 2011 – LUMS, Lahore
AACSB Related Trainings Attended
- Assurance of Learning Workshop
- Workshop on development of the curriculum according to AACSB curriculum management guidelines
- The workshop on MBA program restructuring
Memberships and Affiliations
- Independent Director, Pakistan Institute of Corporate Governance 2020-Present
- Member Board of Studies, Sindh University Bhitt Shah Campus.
- Member Syndicate, Sukkur IBA University (2019-2020)
AACSB related tasks
- Member Faculty engagement committee
- Curriculum review committee for MBA
Awards & Achievements
- Ranked number 1 contributor in Business School as a Scholarly Academician (SA- faculty) for the year 2020 with the score of 343 points in 4-years
- Stood first in Emerald/HEC Case Writing Competition, 2018
Public Speaking Engagements
- Future Research Challenges and Agenda at Arab Open University Bahrain, September 2019
- SZABIST International Conference on Interdisciplinary Research in Management, Education, and Social Sciences, January 2020
- 1st National Research Conference on Business and Management (NRCoBM) “Emerging Trends, Opportunities and Challenges in Business”. SZABIST Larkana, February, 2019
- 3rd International Conference on Experiential Learning at IOBM, Karachi. October, 2018
Sukkur IBA University-Sukkur, Pakistan
2019 – 2020, Associate Professor of OB & HR 2016 – 2020, Head, Case Research Center
2016 – 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Business Administration 2012 – 2013
MBA Program Coordinator
2019 – 2016
Lecturer, Business Administration
Universitiy Utara Malaysia
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Academic/Professional Meetings/Workshops Conducted
- Conducted PLS-SEM Workshops in various universities (SZABIST, Karachi, BZU MULTAN, PAF-KIET Karachi, MAJU Karachi, Indus University Karachi, University of
- Sindh Jamshoro, Isra University Hyderabad and Mehran UET, Jamshoro (in the years 2016-2019)
- Conducted workshop on PLS-SEM, Sukkur IBA University along with Prof. Ramayah T. from USM, Malaysia, Feb-2018
- Conducted various workshops on “Leadership Development through 7-Habits of Highly Effective People’ at Sukkur IBA (in the years 2016-2019)
- Conducted 2-Days Workshop on PLS-SEM at University Utara Malaysia, August, 2015
- Conducted 2-days Workshop on PLS-SEM Analysis methods at UniMAP, Malaysia, December, 2015
- Conducted 2-days Workshop on PLS-SEM at University Utara Malaysia, October, 2015
- Independent Director, Board of Directors – Sindh Rural Support Program 2020-Present
- Member, HR Committee – Sindh Rural Support Program 2020-Present
- Training Coordinator for Sindh Education Foundation, 2016-2017
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Ahmed, U., Umrani, W. A., Yousaf, A., Siddiqui, M. A., Pahi, M. U., (2021 - Accepted). Developing faithful stewardship for environment through green HRM. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- Siyal, S., Xin, C., Umrani, W.A., Fatima, S., Pal, D., (2021) How Do Leaders Influence Innovation and Creativity in Employees? The Mediating Role of Intrinsic Motivation. Administration & Society
- Umrani, W. A., Channa, N., Yousaf, A., Ahmed, U., Pahi, M.H., Ramayah, T., (2020) Greening the Workforce to Achieve Environmental Performance in Hotel Industry: A serial mediation model. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- Arain, G. A., Hameed, I., Umrani, W., & Sheikh, A. (2020). Whether and How Subordinates Passively Respond to Top-Down Knowledge Hiding in Organizations. Applied Psychology – An International Journal.
- Yousaf, A., Shoukat, R., Umrani, W. A., F. Y., (2020). Linkages between Group Level Task Conflict and Individual Level Outcomes in non-routine technical Jobs. International Journal of Conflict Management
- Dost, M., Badir, Y. F., Sambasivan, M., & Umrani, W. A. (2020). Open-and-closed process innovation generation and adoption: Analyzing the effects of sources of knowledge. Technology in Society, 62, 101309.
- Umrani, W. A., Siyal, I. A., Ahmed, U., Arain, G. A., Sayed, H., & Umrani, S. (2019). Does family come first? Family motivation-individual’s OCB assessment via self- efficacy. Personnel Review.
- Dost, M., Pahi, M. H., Magsi, H. B., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). Effects of sources of knowledge on frugal innovation: moderating role of environmental turbulence. Journal of Knowledge Management.
- Afsar, B., Masood, M., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). The role of job crafting and knowledge sharing on the effect of transformational leadership on innovative work behavior. Personnel Review.
- Dost, M., Pahi, M. H., Magsi, H. B., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). Influence of the best practices of environmental management on green product development. Journal of environmental management, 241, 219-225.
- Ahmad, I., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). The impact of ethical leadership style on job satisfaction. Leadership & Organization Development Journal.
- Afsar, B., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). Transformational leadership and innovative work behavior. European Journal of Innovation Management.
- Afsar, B., & Umrani, W. A. (2019). Corporate social responsibility and pro‐environmental behavior at workplace: The role of moral reflectiveness, coworker advocacy, and environmental commitment. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management.
Ahmed U., Umrani W.A, Khalid N., Imroz S. M., (2020) Case studies on contemporary practices in Management & HR.
Academic/Professional Meeting/Conference Proceedings / Presentations
- Arain, G. A., Hameed, I., Umrani, W., & Sheikh, A. (2019, July). Whether and How Subordinates Passively Respond to Top-Down Knowledge Hiding in Organizations. In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2019, No. 1, p. 13509). Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510: Academy of Management.
- Javed, B., Umrani, W. A., & Hameed, Z. (2019). Impact of Inclusive leadership on Innovative Work Behavior: the roles of job characteristics and person job fit. Academy of Management Global Proceedings, (2019), 131.
- Umrani, W.A., Shaikh, H., Shah, S.M.M., Syed, J., Syed, H. (2020) Employee state paranoia: Linking abusive supervision with employee voice behavior. European Academy of Management (2020-Accepted).
- Nawaz, A., Umrani, W. A., Bhutto, N.A., Tariq, B. (2020) Behaviors Also Trickle Back: An Assessment of Customer Dysfunctional Behavior on Employee And Customers. British Academy of Management (2020-Accepted).
PEER-REVIEWED TEACHING CASES PUBLISHED & PRESENTED
- Umrani., W. A., Solangi, R., Virginia, B., (2021). Sustaining Hazir Sanzi Through Study, Work and Family. Asian Case Research Journal.
- Najam, S., Solangi, R., Umrani, W. A., & Rajput, S. M. (2021). Recruiting the right research associate for case research center. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
- Umrani, W. A., Solangi, R., Virginia, B., (2021). Sustaining Hazir Sabzi, through Study- Work-and Family: A three tier conflict. Asian Case Research Journal
- Umrani, W. A., Solangi, R., Memon, M. A., Hadeesa, A., & Khoso, S. (2019). Implementing evaluation for positive organizational changes: IBA-public school Sukkur, Pakistan. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
- Solangi, R., Umrani, W. A., Solangi, I., & Memon, M. A. (2019). To do or not to do: the real state of real estate. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
- Umrani, W. A., Doudpota, A. K., & Ahmed, U. (2016). ICON stores: managing a new business venture. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies.
- Umrani W. A., Butt, F., Bhutto, N.A., (2015). Developing Brand Identity, The Elegant Center, Hyderabad. Book titled 'Management Cases: A Treatise' by Asia Pacific Institute, Delhi, India
- Butt, F., Umrani W. A., Khuwaja, F. M., (2015) Promotion Mix at APS (Allied Power Solutions, Sukkur). Book titled 'Management Cases: A Treatise' by Asia Pacific Institute, Delhi, India
- Umrani, W. A., Memon, U., (2016) Managing Faculty Performance at Sukkur IBA. AMRC Conference, Wallowing University Dubai.
- Umrani, W. A., Kazmi, S. M. A., Khoso, T. A., (2011) Taj-Corporation Journey of Transformation. AJMC International Case Conference, 2011
- Qureshi, R. A., Khuwaja, F. M., Umrani, W. A., Rana, A. I., (2011) Sales force Compensation at Service Sales Corporation. AJMC International Case Conference.
- Butt, F., Memon, P. A., Umrani W. A., (2011). Waqar Mughal – an Entrepreneur at Cross Road. AJMC International Case Conference.
- Community Investment Fund, Impact Study, 2016 for Sindh Rural Support Program.
- Matching Grant – Universiti Utara Malaysia & Sukkur IBA University 2019
- Sukkur IBA Research Grant 2019 – Graduate Skills Assessment
ACADEMIC ENGAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
- Supervising three MS students
- Supervising three MS students
- Conference Manager for 3rd ICBEM, April, 2019
- Conference Manager for 2nd ICBEM, Feb, 2018
- Conference Manger for Case Study Segment, 1st ICBEM, 2016.
Ad Hoc Reviewing
- International Journal of Human Resource Management
- Personnel Review
- The Journal of Positive Psychology
- Leadership and Organization Development
- Academy of Management conference: OB, and HRM divisions
- British Academy of Management Conference
- European Academy of Management Conference