Dr Jawaid Ghani
holds degrees in Computer Science and Management from MIT and Wharton School (U. Penn). He was a Professor at LUMS (1992-2012) where he taught in the areas of Strategy and Marketing, served as Dean of the Suleman Dawood School of Business, and held the Export Development Fund Chair in Export Marketing. Prior to joining LUMS, Dr Ghani held faculty positions at the Sloan School of Management, MIT, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, and Western Michigan University.
He was a founding Director of Gallup Research Institute (Pakistan). He served as the founding Chairman of the Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB) and as Provincial Secretary Information Technology Department in Punjab.
He has served as a Board member of several organizations including Haleeb Foods Ltd., International Islamic University, Foundation University, Punjab Technical Education and Vocational Training Authority (TEVTA), and Technical Up-Gradation and Skill Development Company (TUSDEC), and as a member of numerous federal and provincial task forces.
He has published extensively in several areas including the psychology of human-computer interaction, economic tariff policy, and retail. His current research interests lie in the area of marketing research and corporate strategy.
Ph.D. - Department of Decision Sciences, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
Major: Management Information Systems; Minor: Managerial Accounting
Dissertation Title: The Effects of Information Representation and Modification on Decision Performance. [Doctoral Research on Database Systems as Mellon Fellow at Carnegie-Mellon University (1975-76)]
B.S - Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Thesis Title: Data Base and Simulation Model for Energy Demand Analyses.
B.S. - Management Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Awards & Achievements:
- Awarded Export Development Fund (EDF) Chair in Export Marketing at the Lahore University of Management Sciences, 1994.
- Voted as 1990-91 and 1991-92 Teacher of the Year in the Department of Business Information Systems, Western Michigan University.
- Listed in Who's Who in American Education, 1992-93.
- College of Business Dean's Research Grant, Western Michigan University (1988, 1990, 1991).
- Granted Tenure at Western Michigan University (1991).
- Teaching Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania (1976-80).
- Mellon Fellowship, Carnegie-Mellon University (1975-76).
- Undergraduate Scholarship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1972-75).
- SIGMA XI, (Honorary) Scientific Research Society of North America, 1975.
- Cree Medal for Science (awarded to the best overall science student) Karachi Grammar School, 1970
Professor of Strategy and Marketing Research
Professor of Strategy and Marketing, Suleman Dawood School of Business (SDSB), LUMS. Dean of SDSB, LUMS (2005-07); Visiting Professor (2004-05); Professor (1993-2004); EDF Professor of Export Marketing (1995-98), Associate Dean External Programs (1994-99), Associate Professor (1992-93). On leave as Chairman PITB (1999-2000, 2011-2012).
As Dean was responsible for SDSB which consists of over 2 dozen full time faculty and a budget in excess of $2 million.
Associate Professor, Department of Business Information Systems, Western Michigan University. Assistant - Professor (1988-90)
Assistant Professor, College of Industrial Management, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Assistant Professor of Management Science, Sloan School of Management,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Assistant Instructor of Decision Sciences, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Founding Chairman, Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB),
Chairman PITB and Secretary Information Technology Department
Marketing Advisor, Wazir Ali Group of Companies.
Consultant, Ministry of Science and Technology and the World Bank.
Director and Founding Partner, Gallup Research Institute (Pakistan).
Mellon National Bank, Pittsburgh, Pa. Consulted on the design and implementation of a prototype data inquiry system for top management. Spring 1976.
MIT Energy Laboratory. Developed simulation model for energy demand analyses. Summer 1975 Decision Technology Inc., Cambridge, Mass. Implemented software interface for on-line usage of Graphic Management Reporting System. Spring-Fall 1974.
Sloan School, MIT. Analysis of data manipulation languages of various CODASYL type data base management systems. Fall 1973.
Multimedia Lab, MIT. Developed hardware interface for the XDP color graphics minicomputer. Summer 1973.
Barnes Engineering Co., Stamford, Conn. Tested Field Effect Transistors for response to low-frequency
signals. Spring 1973.
- Ghani, J.A., 2014. “The Emerging Middle Class in Pakistan: How it Consumes, Earns, and Saves”, KSBL Review, 1(3).
- Ghani, J.A., 2014. “Retail Trends in Urban Pakistan”, KSBL Review, 1(2):12-17.
- Ghani, J.A.. 2010. “Maria B. Designs (Pvt.) Ltd”, Asian Journal of Management Cases, 7(1), 89-102.
- Ghani, J. A., Rana, A.I., and Bhutta, K. 2008. “The Economics of Outsourcing in a De-integrating Industry”. Journal of
International Business Research, 7(1): 47-60
- Ghani, J. A., and Fayyaz, A. 2007. “Lahore Woven Garments Consortium (LGC)”, Asian Journal of Management Cases,
- Ghani, J. A. 2005. “Consolidation in Pakistan’s Retail Sector”, Asian Journal of Management Cases, 2(2): 137-161.
- Khan, J. H , and Ghani, J. A. 2004. “Clusters and Entrepreneurship: Implications for Innovation in a Developing Economy”,
Journal of Development Entrepreneurship, 9(3): 221-238.
- Ghani, J. A. 2004. “Bata Strategic Choices”, Asian Journal of Management Cases, 1(1): 81-108.
- Rana, A. I., and Ghani, J. A. 2004. “Dynamics of Outsourcing in Industrial Clusters: A Study of the Gujrat Fan Industry”,
Asian Journal of Management Cases, 1(1): 7-24.
- Ghani, J. A. and Khan, J. H. 2004. “Network Relationship and Asset Specificity in Pakistan’s Automotive Industry”, Journal
of The Asia Pacific Economy, 9(1): 85-100.
- Lahiri, S., Nasim, A., and Ghani, J. 2000. “Optimal second-best tariffs on an intermediate input with particular reference to
Pakistan”, Journal of Development Economics. 61(2): 393-416.
- Ghani, J. A. 1998. “Sialkot A City at Work”, in Pakistan: 50th Anniversary of Independence, R. Minhas (Ed.), Berkeley
Communications, London, UK, pp. 128-133.
- Ghani, J.A. and Amir, I. 1994. “Pakistan Leather Tanning Industry 1993 - A Review”, Pakistan Leather Trades Journal,
- Ghani, J. A. and Deshpande, S. 1994. “Task Characteristics and the Experience of Optimal Flow in Human-Computer
Interaction”. The Journal of Psychology, 128(4): 381-391.
- Ghani, J. A. 1993. “Flow in Human-Computer Interactions: Test of a Model.” in Human Factors in Management Information Systems: Emerging Theoretical Basis, Jane Carey and Ben Shneiderman (Eds.),
Ablex Publishing, Norwood,
- Ghani, J. A. and D'Mello, J. 1993. "Computers in Finance Education: Balancing the challenges." Financial Practice and
Education, 3(1): 65-71.
- Ghani, J. A.1992. “Task Uncertainty and the Use of Computer Technology.” Information and Management, 22: 69-76.
- Ghani, J. A. and Chacko, C. 1991. “End User Dependence on Computer Technology.” The Journal of Information
Technology Management, 2(3): 9-15.
- Ghani, J., Supnick, R. and Rooney, P. 1991. "The experience of flow in computer-mediated and face-to-face group
communication". In Proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Information Systems, DeGross, Benbasat, DeSanctis and Beath (Eds.), ACM Publications, Baltimore, MD, pp. 229-237.
- Ghani, J. A. 1990. “Task Variability and the Managerial Use of Information Channels”. The Journal of Information
Technology Management, 1(2): 1-8.
- Ghani, J. A. and Lim, T. 1989. “Training DP Managers for the Small Business Sector.” Interface: The Computer Education
Quarterly, 11(4): 26-30.
- Ghani, J. A. and Al-Meer, A.R. 1989. “Effect of End User Computing on Job Satisfaction: An Exploratory Study.”
Information and Management, 17(4): 191-195.
- Ghani, J. A. 1988. “Diffusion of microcomputers in an academic community.” Computers and Education: An International
Journal, 12(4): 545-551.
- Ghani, J. A. and Al-Buraey, M.A. 1988. “Administrators and Technologists: A Study of the Role and Career Aspirations of
Saudi Engineers.” Engineering Management International, 15(1): 63-69.
- Ghani, J. A. and Al-Sakran, S. 1988. “The Changing Data Processing Environment in Saudi Arabia.” Information and
Management, 14(2): 61-66.
- Al-Buraey, M.A. and Ghani, J. A. 1986. “Management Education for Engineers: The case of Saudi Arabia.” European
Journal of Engineering Education, 11(4): 437-450.
- Ghani, J. A. and Lusk, E. 1982. “The Impact of a Change in Information Representation and a Change in the Amount of
Information on Decision Performance.” Human Systems Management, 3(3): 270-278.
- Ghani, J. A. and Lusk, E. 1982. “Human Information Processing research: Its MIS-design consequences.” Human Systems
Management, 3(1): 32-40.
- Ghani, J. A. 1981. “The Effects of Information Representation and Modification on Decision Performance.” Unpublished
Dissertation, University of Pennsylvania.
Impact Factor 12.89; i10-index 13 Total citations (Google Scholar): 2400+